News / Features / Article

Universal Announces Release Date for Oblivion

Article by Dave McNary

Universal has dated a trio of high-profile titles, setting Oliver Stone’s Savages for Sept. 28, 2012, and giving midsummer 2013 slots to Despicable Me 2 on July 3 and Tom Cruise starrer Oblivion on July 19. Savages, based on the crime novel by Don Winslow, stars Blake Lively, Taylor Kitsch, Aaron Johnson, Benicio Del Toro, Salma Hayek, John Travolta, Uma Thurman and Emile Hirsch. It will open against Sony’s sci-fi actioner Looper.

Despicable Me 2 is the first film to be dated on July 4 weekend for 2013. The original grossed more than $540 million at the worldwide box office.

Oblivion, from Joseph Kosinski, is also the first film set for the mid-July 2013 frame. Cruise stars as as a former solider who is the last person on an Earth devastated by war with an alien race.

Browse Related Tags:, , , , , ,

9 Responses to Universal Announces Release Date for Oblivion

1. GeorgeWill says:

Great! Now how do I get a copy of the book? Every time I order it from different vendors across the internet, they end up canceling my order. Please help!!

• Quinne says:

Thank you for your query! The book isn’t available yet, but keep an eye on us– more news will be posted as it comes!

2. GeorgeWill says:

Thanks for the quick response back. I am currently teaching a course at Wabash College on post-apocalyptic fiction and I’m eagerly waiting for this book to come out. Please post the new release date as soon as possible, so I can stop bugging you and finalize my syllabus for next semester. ;-)

3. Jonulf says:

I’ve been eagerly awaiting this one for years now. Can’t wait.

4. Kurt says:

I’ve been waiting for this book as well. Please hurry!

5. Paul says:

Any news on the Oblivion novel release date yet?

6. mike I says:

so the version of the book that my dad ordered from Amazon for Christmas 2010 gift is that what will be released or something entirely new.

• Radical says:

Hello- thank you for your inquiry!

Oblivion is not currently slated for release in the immediate future and will likely be somewhat different that the product listed on Amazon. Apologies for any inconvenience.

7. ricardo says:

hello i would like to know when the book will be available?